Some useful steps to estimate per meter weight of reinforcing steel bar
Estimation of per meter weight of rebar is essential and it is considered as the major step for the calculation of the amount of steel reinforcement that should be arranged in columns, beams, and slabs.
For making calculation of per meter weight of rebar, assume a steel bar with a circular cross-section that is cylindrical in shape.
- d as diameter of bar in mm
- h as height of cylinder bar = 1m
- Weight density of steel = 7850 kg/m3 (constant)
- Volume of cylindrical bar = (π d2)h/4
- = (3.14xd2x1)/4
- = (7.85x10-7)xd2 cum
- Weight of cylindrical bar = weight density of steel x volume of cylindrical bar
- = 7850x7.85x10-7xd2
- = 0.00616xd2
- = d2/(0.00616-1)
- = d2/162.3 ≈ d2/162
Therefore, the formula for working out the per meter weight of rebar is obtain as d2/162.
Suppose, the estimation of the unit weight of steel per meter is accomplished for 20mm diameter steel bar.
d2/162 = 202/162 = 2.46kg
Consequently, with the use of this formula per meter weight of steel is measured for various diameter of a bar.